Kim Robinson Wins with Delightful Seasonal Cake Roll
|Representative picture - not actual|
Congratulations to Kim Robinson, She is the winner of our Holiday recipe contest. She received a gift certificate for a FREE 1/4 sheet cake and 10% off her purchase for entering. As our winning recipe we would like to share it with you.
For the Cake:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
14 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup canned pure pumpkin
For the Filling
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Powdered sugar for sprinkling
1. Make the Cake: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan. Line the pan with parchment paper, then grease and flour the parchment. Set aside
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt, then set aside.
3. Beat the sugar and eggs together until combined and thick, about 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin and mix to combine. Add the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to fold and mix until no flour is remaining. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer.
4. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until the top of the cake springs back when lightly pressed. While the cake is in the over, place a piece of parchment paper on the counter and sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar.
5. When the cake comes out of the oven, immediately run a knife around the sides of the pan to loosen the cake. Turn the cake on to the prepared piece of parchment paper. Carefully peel off the parchment paper from the top of the cake and discard. Starting with a short end, carefully roll up the cake with the parchment paper. Place the rolled cake on a wire rack, seam-side down and allow cooling to room temperature.
6. Make the Filling: Beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Add the powdered sugar and beat until completely smooth and light. Add the vanilla extract and mix briefly to combine.
7. Carefully unroll the cake. Spread the cream chess filling evenly over the surface of the cake. Re-roll the cake, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve, place the pumpkin roll on a serving platter and dust with powdered sugar. Leftovers should be wrapped in plastic wrap or placed in an airtight container and refrigerated.