For whatever reasons that society has deemed worthy, turning forty has gotten a bad reputation. But why is that? Why can't we embrace stacking up our years and building our stories? I think it's time that we rethink the forty year old curse and take a moment to reflect on its beauties and blessings.
Here you have it.
7 Reasons to Celebrate Turning 40.
1. Alright, let's face the undeniable fact, 40 is the new 30 because people are living longer. Centenarians will become unexceptional within your lifetime, and the average life-span around the world is double what it was 200 years ago. So instead of getting all down, thinking your life is half over, think again! Get in on the exciting (late) trends in modern healthy foods and exercise and you'll realize that being 40 is prime time for supreme living.
2. You can SKIP facebook! After all, you're finally done finding yourself and better yet - you already have seasoned friendships. You're the lucky person that gets to skip cyber-game invites and popularity polls, to see people face to face and have some good old fashioned, quality conversation. So there. One more thing, you don't need to waste your life doing.
3. You know analog and digital. You get to laugh at the current generation's obsession with touch screens and motion sensing video games, while reminiscing on the simplicity of a hand written letter and the joy it brought in both sending and receiving such a token of affection. You remember records, cassette tapes and cd's but are still tech savvy enough to be apart of the download generation. The best of both worlds.
4. You've grown much wiser. After spending years - decades even of bending over backwards to please family, friends and workplace, you have finally found the strength and freedom to start saying 'no'. There are only so many hours in the day and days in the week. You are only one person and it's vital for you to care for your own needs too. It's ok to say 'no'. Why can't we learn this at 30?
5. You've got time. For the ladies, take comfort. It seems the biological clock is ticking slower these days. Hale Berry and Nicole Kidman both had babies after 41! It may not be too late. And hey, in the meantime if life calls you to a different path, feel free to dote on your friend's little ones. They probably need a break and being 40, you're full of tricks, wisdom and all around cool nature. You are a powerhouse dream come true.
6. One more for the ladies. The experts think you have great potential. Psychotherapist Dr Susie Orbach, of the London School of Economics, says women in their 50s are more confident, financially independent and healthier than ever before. So, get out those legal pads and start your mind mapping! You have to prepare for that incredible success waiting in your fifties! Better yet, just do it now. Why wait?
7. Just celebrate. You are an incredible person with an even more incredible story. You and your family alike, no matter the story, are filled with rich history. You've risen and fallen. You've loved and you have lost. In the end, you have grown and the value of love, patience and forgiveness. I didn't say you mastered it but I'm sure we at least agree that it's within your awareness, which is an improvement to the ego days of your 20's!
If you or your loved one is taking that step in to a new generation, remember that it's a transition to be valued. You are being promoted and that deserves to be celebrated.
At Ontario Bakery we are proud to celebrate life with you. Please stop by our website or our Southern California location and tell us how we can help.
Please, let us know about your favorite birthday in the comments below! We love to hear from you!
"You can be gorgeous at 20, charming at 40 and irresistible for the rest of your life."