Cinnamon is one of those spices that just makes you feel good. And it’s good timing too. This is the time of year to enjoy spiced wine, pumpkin pie and cinnamon swirls! So isn’t it great to know that this delectable spice has health benefits to offer as well? Well we at Ontario Bakery are quite in tuned to the
goodness of cinnamon and are happy to share not only the health benefits but also some great ideas and ways to use it in everyday snacks and meals!
Numerous studies show that cinnamon regulates blood sugar, making it a great choice for diabetics and hypoglycemics alike. That’s also great news for anyone who wants stable energy levels and moods.
It has natural anti-infectious compounds. In studies, cinnamon has been effective against ulcer-causing H. pylori bacteria and other pathogens.
For those looking to loose weight and be more heart healthy, it reduces LDL cholesterol levels. LDL is also known as the harmful cholesterol. Reducing it may help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
It improves regularity and nutrient absorption, as it contains fiber, calcium, iron, and manganese. These, in addition to cinnamaldehyde, helps with menstrual pain and infertility, as it increases the hormone progesterone and decreases testosterone production in women, helping to balance hormones.
Bonus fact? It’s a great binder! Cinnamon, when met with liquid and allowed to set, coagulates, creating a gelatinous response.Take advantage of cinnamon’s potential benefits and incorporate it into more of your meals and desserts! It can be used it in both sweet and savory dishes in so many ways!
Here are 6 easy ideas:
- Sprinkle cinnamon into your coffee, or add it to your coffee grounds before brewing: Great for boosting metabolism and starting your day!
- Fold cinnamon into yogurt, along with cooked, chilled quinoa, fresh cut fruit, and nuts or seeds.
- Season roasted or grilled fruit with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Stir cinnamon into honey and drizzle over apple or pear slicesl
- Add a pinch of cinnamon to lentil or black bean soup, or vegetarian chili for a fall flare.
- Sprinkle a little cinnamon and sugar onto popped popcorn.
Really, there are even more options than this. Browse around online to see more options! Cinnamon has been used for thousands of years to heal the body and enhance tastes, so why stop now?
At Ontario Bakery, we love being apart of lasting memories in your families and would love to be a part of more. Please let us know what we can do to help you have a warm and delicious holiday season!